The last few weeks, I’ve been talking about Instagram graphics and design basics – and this week, I want to really focus in on Instagram story graphics. While we love having pretty, themed Instagram feeds, Instagram stories just passed 250 million daily active users. Stories are a great way to show behind-the-scenes, and show the more personal side of your brand. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t also throw in some graphics! I’m going to show you three easy ways to create your own Instagram story graphics.
Canva is a free design program that many non-designers love to use. They do have many templates available for you to use, but you can also create your own templates based on whatever dimensions you want!
To create a template that is sized for Instagram stories, select Use Custom Dimensions, and enter 1080 (width) x 1920 (height) pixels.
Some design tips to help you get started:
- Use a solid color background (like one of your brand colors!)
- Don’t put text too close to the edges, so there’s no chance of it getting cut off
- Duplicate the canvas page, and change the text on the next one – then the text will always be in the same place in your story!
To download your graphic:
- If on your computer, download the graphic, and upload to Dropbox. Use the Dropbox app on your phone to then download the graphic to your phone.
- If on your phone, download the Canva app to your phone, and once you’re done designing, download the graphic.
If you were (or are) a Snapchat user, you probably remember the Discover tab in Snapchat. It was content from big brands like Buzzfeed, usually about current events or celebrity news. What was noticeably different about these stories was the design and look – they were well designed, catchy, and usually bright colors – it was like a simplified magazine cover condensed down into a thumbnail on your screen.
Well, now you can create a similar looking graphic thanks to an app called Flyr! It has lots of easy to use templates that are more out-of-the-box design than Canva templates, but easily allows you to update text and photos, or even add GIFs to your designs. (Yes, please!)
I’m a huge proponent of using graphics that are on-brand and fit your style, so use this app with caution!
Legend is one of my favorite apps because it’s ridiculously simple. You can use this app to create graphics for Instagram, Facebook, or wherever else you want to use it. When you are using it for Instagram story graphics, you’ll want to pay particular attention to the spacing and width of your text, so it doesn’t get cut off. I’ve got a video tutorial for Legend to show you how easy it is to use: